Witteveen+Bos UK is a specialist resilient infrastructure team.
Do you want to play an active role in building a greener future by promoting walking, cycling and healthy city design solutions as part of our UK team in Bristol or London?
You will be joining our team as a landscape architect to assist in a broad range of tasks connecting walking/cycling/public realm scheme design to healthy transport approaches. A passion for walking and cycling is essential in this job, as is the ability to think critically and seek innovative solutions to how to upgrade UK roads into more integrated place-transport environments. You responsibilities will include concept design, visualisations, contributing to feasibility studies, reports and presentations, as well as high level costing and tenders. You will also actively contribute through community engagement and technical stakeholder engagement involving all aspects of inclusive walking and cycling infrastructure design.
Examples of projects we work on are the Portsmouth Inspiration Study which proposes the transformation of a congested transport corridor into a healthy high street, York Castle Gateway Development Masterplan, the Inverness City Active Travel Network. Materiality, inclusive design standards and future-proofing are fundamental aspects of our approach. Internationally, our colleagues are working on a series of regional super cycle highways (12 km) and junction enhancements for innovative cycle highways in the Netherlands, as well as cycle highways in Bogota, Columbia and Singapore. We also work closely with our flood resilience and energy transition teams in the Netherlands. This job is based in London or Bristol.
Witteveen+Bos UK Ltd is a specialist resilient infrastructure unit and part of the over 1,100 person strong Dutch engineering consultancy Witteveen+Bos. Our UK team focus is walking, cycling and air pollution. We are passionate about simple, robust transport standards which lay foundations for safe walking and cycling for everybody. Taking an integrated approach, we aim to help local communities capitalise on the socio-economic benefits of combining greater transport efficiency with placemaking. The work at Witteveen+Bos UK Ltd team strikes a balance between the all-hands-on-deck opportunities of being a start-up team, while at the same time being part of a highly reputable and established Dutch engineering consultancy.
What we ask
- 3-5 years experience;
- Degree in Landscape Architecture or equivalent;
- Membership of a professional body or working towards it (CMLI, RTPI);
- Experience in design of walking and cycling infrastructure with interfaces to public realm or public transport;
- Skilled in visual communication including e.g. PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator;
- Experience in production of AutoCad drawings up to RIBA Stage 3 or equivalent;
- Critical thinking, complex problem solving, innovation, ability to challenge conventional transport practices;
- Excellent understanding of urban design principles and a holistic approach to roadspace (aka street) design with a focus on healthy transport modes; willingness to learn about the Dutch CROW Cycling Design Manual and other Dutch innovations, and to apply these principles within the UK road context.
What we offer
- An attractive career path aimed at personal development and growth;
- Variety, versatility and room for entrepreneurship in our start-up team;
- Cooperation with (international) top-experts on walking, cycling and public realm infrastructure;
- Workplace pension and health care scheme;
- One annual trip to the Netherlands;
- Possibility of becoming a shareholder of the company.
Who we are
Witteveen+Bos is an international engineering consultancy offering solutions to complex engineering and social issues in the fields of water, infrastructure, the environment and construction. Our company motto is “Engineering is people’s work”, meaning that we understand that infrastructure should deliver technical as well as societal functions. We apply sustainable principles from the UN sustainable development goals to all of our projects. Our Dutch colleagues are leaders in energy transition, circular economy and nature-based infrastructure. A total staffbase of more than 1,100 employees work in interdisciplinary project teams on fascinating projects all over the world. Our work requires high level expertise and an eye for quality, and we aim to work on a high-end, international engineering level. We therefore consider personal and professional development essential to the success of our company and we facilitate this development. We also offer abundant room for personal initiative and entrepreneurship. This approach was recently acknowledged by our CEO, Karin Sluis, winning the ACE’s European CEO Award in London in November 2018.
If you are interested in this job, please apply here. To discuss the position please contact: Jess Read (email@example.com, +44 7718 646 883) or Martijn Akkerman (firstname.lastname@example.org, +31 653 367 416)
To apply for this job please visit www.witteveenbos.com.