About Water Artisans
Water Artisans is a specialist water design and engineering company based in Dorset, England. We have an excellent reputation with the landscape industry. Our work is primarily the creation of swimming pools, swimming ponds and water features using biological filtration, although we are now extending our services to encompass the surrounding landscaping activities. Minimising our impact on the environment is our goal, hence the chemical free approach, while still creating and delivering the very best landscape water features possible. Our work is mainly for private clients either directly or in conjunction with landscape designers or architects. We are a small team and a family run business.
Core project types;
Rock and water features
Lakes and ponds
Show garden water features (over 15 gold medal winning features at Chelsea to date)
Why do we need a Landscape Architect/Designer?
Good design is at the core of what we do and underpins the quality of our end product. We are a small team but our business has developed and grown over the past four years to the point where we now need to expand our design capabilities and capacity. Part of that growth will see us undertaking more of the wider hard and soft landscaping around the water elements so the scale, scope and amount of design input required are all increasing.
What is the role?
This is a full-time position. You will primarily be supporting our lead technical designer, Ben Garner, and will be a critical member of our senior team. You will be responsible for developing water feature and landscape designs from initial site consultations through to the eventual construction drawings for our site teams and ‘as-built’ drawings for our O&M manuals. Some projects will be design only, with the company acting as a specialist sub consultant. You may also be required to produce visuals or annotated plans to support applications for planning consent. Your designs will always consider safe working practices and you will work in consultation with the wider team at WA with this approach in mind. There will be lots of sketching and brainstorming to consider each design – we do a lot of that – so good hand drawing skills are a must.
You are a highly motivated individual and you love being part of a small team. You will already have at least 5 years proven experience as a qualified designer and know your way around RIBA stages. You will be proficient in the use of AutoCad and or Vectorworks for design and MS365/Teams for housekeeping, you may also have Photoshop skills. You will have a full, clean driving licence and will be expected to drive to sites on your own or with other members of the organisation. You are personable, willing to listen and of a bright, cheerful disposition.
Your character is just as important to us, the ‘can-do’ approach that you often hear about is a vital pre-requisite. We want you to unleash your design flair and will encourage you to do so. You are passionate about the landscape, if you’re passionate about water in particular that’s even better!
· Qualification in Landscape Architecture and past experience working in a well-established design studio with experience in all design stages.
· Preferably 2+ yrs experience as CMLI
· Proven ability to manage resources and projects and work to tight deadlines
· Excellent design skills and proven technical ability.
· Ability to work individually or as part of a team
· Self-motivated and client focused
· Confident freehand drawing skills
· CAD skills in either AutoCAD or Vectorworks
· Software experience using Sketchup, Adobe Photoshop, and InDesign
What we can offer
· Very specialist ongoing training regarding water feature and swimming pond design.
· The position is based at our office in Dorset, right next to Hardy’s Cottage near Dorchester.
· We will pay a very competitive salary, based on experience.
· Normal office hours will be 0800-1700 but early starts or late finishes may be required depending on timings and distance of specific site visits.
· We operate a company pension scheme
If you would like to apply please send a CV and introductory letter by email to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.