Responsible to: Head of Membership Services
Proposed salary: £37,000 per annum
Location: Home based, North West England (with regular travel around UK)
Hours: Monday – Friday. 35hr Week
The Landscape Institute (LI) is the professional membership body representing landscape designers, managers and planners. The LI works for the benefit of people, place and nature. Landscape professionals are integral to creating sustainable places and look to design with nature, rather than against it, and bring a unique, integrated response to the complex and interconnected issues of climate change and biodiversity loss. The LI is now entering an important period promoting the profession to wider audiences and broadening its appeal and we are looking for people who are passionate and engaged in making a real difference. With landscape at every scale becoming increasingly relevant to the built environment sector, the Landscape Institute offers a portfolio of membership services to meet current demand alongside an ambitious growth agenda. We are looking for a Membership Development Manager who will drive the growth and ambition of the LI’s membership services.This is a great opportunity to make change within a fast-paced department and forward thinking organisation.
This role has two direct reports –an officer and a full-time apprentice.
The Membership Development team is focused on broadening the LI membership base and attracting more people into the landscape profession. Our ambition to expand is vital and we will continue to service our existing members to the highest quality.
This role will deliver the Membership Development Team’s KPIs with relation to membership recruitment, retention and engagement. This role will drive the sales and development of our membership grades for our current members and potential members – for example, liaising with prospective members (B2C), liaising with Registered Practices and external stakeholders with potential members (B2B), and then ensuring that our CRM is kept up to date. This role will support the Head of Membership Services to deliver the membership growth targets in line with our corporate strategy.
We are looking to appoint someone with excellent administrative and interpersonal skills who will fit into the organisation and work well within and across teams. We need someone who is a natural salesperson and is able to communicate clearly with diverse audiences. Candidates need to have a flexible approach and the ability to work well in a small and extremely busy team of highly committed staff. We are looking for someone who is keen to identify new market opportunities and then develop them in line with the LI’s work of supporting landscape professionals throughout their career development. He are also looking for someone who is able to launch our products and services and adapt them to our new and emerging membership, such as the parks sector professionals.
The holder of this role will report to the Head of Membership Services and work closely with the other members of the LI’s membership team to ensure high quality, successful delivery of the membership and Registered Practice recruitment, as well as the smooth operations surrounding membership retention.
1.Membership development and partnerships
- optimise membership enrolment across all membership grades in targeted sectors
- Demonstrate leadership to generate leads, deliver presentations to prospective members and convert members in line with the LI’s KPIs, for both our individual membership grades and our Registered Practices
- Provide membership and candidate support to employers in targeted sectors through developing programmes to support new member growth
- Encourage additional candidates on P2C pathway (and in future new Entry Standards pathways)
- Collaborate with key landscape sector stakeholders such as LI working groups and committees, peer professional bodies, strategic alliance partners and corporate partners to deliver joint offerings and maintain and develop strong stakeholder relationships
- Support business development forecasting and pipelines by accurately recording all membership opportunities generated
- Supervise and coach Membership Development Officer to deliver KPIs.
- Work with the Head of Membership Services to deliver a new an enticing Registered Practice offer to our practices, making sure that CRM is fit for purpose in the process
Lead on new routes to membership projects, such as our Experienced Route to Chartership and our Expert Route to Fellowship, as well as the continued roll out of our Experienced route to Technician grade
- Generate regular client insights to improve customer experience and the development of new products and services
- Help shape LI member and other surveys to gain great insight from members and our other external customers
- Support development of the membership offer at all levels to key parts of profession e.g. landscape management, parks management and urban design.Support other teams in the Landscape Institute and opportunities to participate in organisation wide projects, systems and activities e.g. using CRM system to provide insight on member segmentation
- Contribute to the regular review of the Member Value Proposition
3.Project management and support
- Lead on cross organisation membership development projects spanning standards, membership operations, marketing, policy, regulations, systems and finance
- Lead the implementation of the various Entry Standards projects
- Provide support on key membership campaign comms to the marketing team
- Provide forecasts and insights into annual business planning
- Write reports and papers to Senior Leadership Team, Committees and Board in relation to membership development projects
- Manage sensitive information and data and ensure all records are up to date, safe and accurate
- Other duties as directed
- Champion the CRM across the organisation and be an “advanced user”
Routine maintenance of the CRM
- Work closely with the Operational Infrastructure Working Group to identify better ways of using CRM to work more efficiently
- Identify new ways of improvement in our processes and procedures, especially leads capturing and conversion tracking
- Provide a consistency of approach with data management to ensure statistics are easy to obtain and up to date
Travel around the UK is required; the postholder will also be expected to attend Landscape Institute, client and industry events to develop sufficient credibility.
The postholder should expect to spend much of their time visiting clients, supporting members/candidates and generating business, and the rest on desk research and office based administration.
- 3 year’s experience of working in a membership sales/delivery role or a business development role within a membership organisation, professional body, or trade association or union
- Experiencing in sales/pitching and presentation and working to delivering targets
- Desk Research experience identifying potential clients
- Experience of managing a team
- Project management experience
- Experience of dealing with CRM Systems ideally Microsoft Dynamics
- Appreciation of equality and diversity issues in the workplaceAbility to travel widely
- Able to drive for results
- Able to persuade sales
- Able to drive execution
- Able to build customer relationships
- Able to build partnershipsAble to Influence
- Able to coach and develop others
- Able to take initiatives
- Educated to degree level (preferable)
- MS Offices Systems (word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Experience of working in a sales role within the charity sector
- Experience working for a professional body with professional registration grades
- Experience of working in a commercial environment
- Membership survey analysis
- Experience of managing an apprentice
- Understanding of the landscape or architecture professions
Clean driver’s licence is also desirable
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.